Monday, April 29, 2013

Clothes Make the Woman?

I was watching a show the other day.  The wonders of the internet was that I happened upon this fun little show that ran in 2008 and 2009 in Great Britain.  How amazing is that?  The most amusing couple "traveled back in time" to live in a specific era eating the dish, dressing the dress, and walking the walk through 12 different periods, including the 1970's!

It was a total blast from the past.  All of a sudden, I remembered eating things like Space Food Sticks, Tang, and Jello 1-2-3.  But the woman had on an outfit that reminded me of one I had in high school.  "I always felt so pretty in that outfit," I thought.  You know, I really have had a lot of outfits, dresses, blouses in my life that made me feel pretty.  I'm not talking about the major things like my wedding dress, prom dresses.  I'm talking about the feeling that certain clothes gave me just by putting them on.  Do you know what I mean?  You stood a little taller, felt a little saucy, knew you could take on the world because the color, cut or style was so becoming.

I used to sew most of my clothes and as I thought about that outfit, some of those dresses started to parade in my mind.  Loved picking out the fabric and seeing it come to life.  So even though some of them are now returned to dust, for my own piece of mind I would like to commit to the world, my absolute love for these dresses that made me feel pretty, oh, so pretty.

My butterfly dress that tied in the back.  What a cute skirt.
My 1940's style pink suit, so fun to wear in the 70's.
Those cream colored corduroy wide legged pants with the matching vest.
That turquoise and pink print with the full sleeves and big collar.
That pantsuit with the little strawberries on the collar and cuffs.
The dress suit my mom bought me with the little fake cherries on the collar.
My plaid floor-length dress that I wore to our 9th grade dance.
That blue dress that made me feel like a medieval princess.
That orange dress that was like Millie in 7 Brides for 7 Brothers.
My first Gunny Sax dress, before they were popular, that looked like it came from 1910.
Oh, well, all of my Gunny Sax dresses...that period of lace and frills in the late 70's was really fun.
That royal blue dress in the late 80's.
That teal dress with the embroidered bodice.  Perfect color for me.

Oh, well, I guess there are too many.  But really, I know there are people who have lived this life never having that little luxury of putting on the perfect dress.

Simple pleasures really are the best.  Glad that I live in the days of Google, that I drive because I will forever love the feeling of getting places quickly so the party can begin, and that I didn't live in Pilgrim times because while black and white may definitely be the beginning and the end, color and style have added spice to my life.

So what clothes have made you feel pretty?


2 comments:

gilian said...

I remember that you sewed your own clothes and I was always in awe of that talent of yours, being able to find fabrics and styles that fit you so beautifully. I also remember the Gunny Sax dress (singular) that I had. And the matching pants/vests combinations. Loved that time in life when those were flattering! I also remember the first time I realized that I was wearing a dress that was flattering on me--the fabric was red with little white hearts (like polka-dots but heart shaped)and the dress was fitted with a little swish to the skirt. And it had three little pearlish heart-shaped buttons on the front going down from the neckline. My mom made that dress for me in 8th grade and I still remember realizing I looked pretty cute in it...surprising that I was that old before I noticed how clothes could make you feel good about yourself...maybe if I'd had sisters I'd have been more aware of such things?

Sarah said...

I always felt like a princess in that yellow dress I had for my baptism. I had this one navy blue dress that almost looked like something a 1940's businesswoman would have worn. The skirt was a sheath and I always felt very svelte in it. I know I packed away a lot of those dresses...I hope they are still in your garage somewhere...I need to look!