Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I'm A Bakin' Fool

It's farewell to Autumn, my very favorite season. It is the perfect season; a final party before the long Winter.

And one of the things Autumn brings out in me is my more domestric streak. You see, I don't usually bake just to pass the time. For some reason, I cannot reconcile baking unless I have a specific reason, i.e. Sunday dessert, holiday gifts, etc. I would never ever get up on a rainy Saturday and say, "I'm bored. I think I'll bake." First, I never get bored. Second, if I did, baking wouldn't be the first thing to come to mind.

But every other year or so at this time, I get in the mood to bake. This year Sarah suggested that we could both bake cookies and then split them between us to deliver to neighbors and friends, kind of a mini cookie exchangette.

And thus it began....the plan unleased my obsessive/compulsive, all-or-nothing psyco side. I can't just bake one batch of chocolate chip cookies and call it good. Oh, no! That's not for me. After a crazy weekend of baking and a couple of more batches tonight I have waiting in my freezer to be handed out to the worthy few:

Orange Sable Cookies, Fruitcake bars, Chocolate chip pecan bars, peppermint swirl cookies, gingerbread swirl cookies, death by caramel bars, honey carrot bars, banana chocolate chip bars, almond sliced cookies, lemon poppy seed cookies, raspberry-walnut pinwheels, and fruitcake slices. I still have iced pumpkin bars and snickerdoodles to go.

Once I start baking, I can't stop. Help!!! S.O.S. 9-1-1! I'm being taken over by my inner Suzie Homemaker. Choking....cough, cough...she's cutting off my air...... Glub, glub, glub.... I hope it's only temporary or I may have to quit my day job!!!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Holy cow!! All in one weekend? whoah! I'm impressed.

gilian said...

how do I get on the list to receive the cookies?

Skybird said...

Did you remember I love Snickerdoodles! I thought the elves did most your baking!