Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Two Graduations in One Week

Saturday my son, Sean, graduated from Utah State University. He's so unique that I could pick him out across the crowded arena from all the other graduates due to his body language and walk. Clayton and Kim accompanied me on the long drive to Logan. Clayton had the brilliant idea to play a guessing game to see which one of us could come closest to what Sean was thinking during the ceremonies. Clayton guessed that he was thinking, "I wonder where we'll go to lunch after this is done." (Texas Roadhouse...steak was yummy!) Kim guessed that Sean was thinking, "This is such a momentous day for me." I won when Sean confirmed that his thoughts matched my guess word for word, "I'm so mad at Mom for making me do this (participate in walking)." Ha ha!

Seriously had a moment where I couldn't believe that this was my little boy graduating. Could this really be that same sweet, chubby-cheeked little boy who wouldn't let go of my leg the first day of kindergarten? Where do the years go? I can tell you that he has brought me joy every day of his life and never given me a moment of worry that he would choose anything that would make me less than proud.

The second graduation was of a different sort. My sons had a co-worker who died in a tragic work-related accident. The bitter irony was that he was two weeks short of retirement. We had all known him for 28 years. Tau was the most cheerful and meekest of men. He was the epitome of child like; just as the Savior admonished us to be.

The majority of the funeral mass was in Tongan and we understood only the little bit that was spoken in English by the priest for our benefit. The congregation and family were so sensitive to our ignorance of their customs and so welcoming. The music by the choir was one of the most amazing sounds I have ever heard; beautiful and clear voices raised the roof of the little chapel, wafting between sad and joyous strains.

It was the perfect graduation ceremony for a man who had lived life to the fullest. The priest said, "Tau was a man of love and hard work." Would that such a tribute be given to each of us at our own graduation.

2 comments:

gilian said...

Truly bittersweet.

Skybird said...

Amazing experiences for you Joey! For me, I watched my Daughter in law up at the U get her Bachelors last summer. And to turn around to the graduation of a life from this Earth School... I have never yet been to a funeral that didn't give me great comfort and peace. When my dad died in my arms, I felt the heavens open around me as I held him, and I felt Grandma, and Grandpa, and all sorts of Beings I "remember" but didn't know in my Earthly state welcome dad home. I wanted to run down the halls and sing and shout for Joy! Dad had graduated!

Love transcends the languages, and belief systems, and labels we put around each other, and to have these people hold you in their arms, so to speak, and invite you into their way of saying goodbye is a gift I am glad you experienced, and then shared with me!