Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Age of Machines



I drive a 1996 Nissan Light Green Mini Van. I bought it in 1999, the year that Clayton went on his mission. It had 45,000 miles on it. In the ensuing years, I've driven and driven and driven. I reached this milestone on Saturday on 4800 South, one of the roads that I've driven on the most. I was traveling from the post office on State Street to Walgreens on 4500 & Redwood.

Maybe it sounds funny, but I'm grateful to my van. I know it's an inanimate object with no spirit or soul. But it works hard and I work it hard. She has served me very well for a long, long time. She has carried my family on vacations, church youth to activities, moved countless boxes for lots of people, carried countless loads to the DI, gone on grocery runs and made countless treks down Redwood Road to my job.

We live in the age of machines large and small where we have computers, refrigerators, televisions, electric razors, and air conditioners. But there's something a little more personal about a vehicle. I always feel a little funny driving someone else's car and a little funny loaning out my own. And it always takes a while to get used to a new car...different controls, steering wheel....even the seat feels different.

I think I may have mentioned before how very much I love driving. My mom taught me when I was 15 years old. I couldn't wait to learn how to drive. I love the freedom it gives me to go and do. I love the avenues and boulevards that it opens up.

There is something so wonderful about being able to cover such vast distances in short time. I often think of Pioneers that walked and walked and walked. I can be at a Target on Redwood Road (1700 West) and 7200 South, decide I want to see the selection and be out to Fort Union (1300 East) in a matter of minutes. How many people who have ever lived on this earth could do that?

I've owned a lot of vehicles, but this van in particular has served me well. I hope there is a lot of life in her yet. I need her to run a little longer. But whenever it comes, when our time together is over, and I'm driving a newer, more reliable vehicle, I will be a little sad....even though that's a little weird.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations! That van has served you well. It's amazing how much longer your vehicles are lasting you when you don't have teenagers driving them anymore. :)

gilian said...

Wait a minute--I thought your van was a mercury?

Skybird said...

Ah... the great mistake of the human being to say that anything that is not human has no soul or spirit! :) Yet at the end you give your van both gender (her) and life!

Now if you worked on cars, you would indeed know that they have unique personalities, and a great deal of soul, and that when you are annoyed at them, they will go out of their way to make your life miserable! My daddy taught me that one!

Computers! Don't tell me them little characters have no soul! They know when we are rushed, and in their mirth, they love to shut down on you just when you need them most! And I swear, I have actually heard my laptop laugh at me!

Seriously Joey, have you ever noticed that when you give your "inanimate object" love, they tend to run better? Maybe you just give them more attention... more of what they need!

As to the miracle that we live, because of these beautiful objects in our lives... I am totally with you... I so love to drive, and have always loved to drive! I love the challenge of learning the personality of a new or different vehicle, and to be up in Boise in only 5 hours is a concept the Pioneers would have a a heard time wrapping their heads around for sure! Makes me wonder what 4 or 5 generations into our future are going to be seeing in our "Archaic" way of living!