Monday, July 4, 2011

Fellowship

One of the great blessings of belonging to a ward or any church congregation is the fellowship of others who share your faith.

This morning we had a breakfast to commemorate Independence Day. Church members began cooking at 6:00 to be able to serve at 8:30. We sang patriotic songs, heard a veteran speak, and people wore red, white, or blue. The tables had little firework type centerpieces. We had good pancakes, orange juice, sausage, hash browns and eggs. And, of course, someone forgot the ketchup. (Which I don't like on eggs anyway!)

But I love the feeling of gathering. I sat by Elsie. I've seen her and she knows me as her Sunday School teacher. But as we visited, I found out that she had been a little girl in Germany during WWII. Her father was mistakenly killed after the war was over by someone who hadn't gotten word of the ceasefire. Her mother was left to raise four children alone. Elsie told me of having moved from Hamburg to East Germany before they finally made their way to the States. Elsie said that boat trip was the only cruise she has ever been on.

It turns out that her husband of over 50 years owned Snappy's restaurant in downtown Salt Lake and served President Monson for years when he came in for his lunch. Elsie makes President Monson an apple cake every year for Christmas and every year she receives a personal thank you note. She's saved every one of them.

It was so wonderful to get to know them better.

After the breakfast, everyone chips in and helps clean up. What could take hours is done in short shift with so many hands making light of the work. Women clear tables and men fold them and put them away. It's the most amazing thing to see.

These are experiences I never had in my youth since we never belonged to a congregation. But when I experience them now, I always think one word: Fellowship. Love it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad you got to know that sweet sister a little better. What a hard thing for their family to go through.

And many helpers do make the work much, much easier to bear.

Skybird said...

Some thrive in the company of many, some are overhelmed, and prefer the few they truly feel safe around. But it seems we all need someone. And to learn from each other... letting go of the labels and expectations, and truly getting to know and listen to another, is a gift beyond measure for me. You truly are a wonderful listener, and you give from your heart back... and those things I so honor in you!

Also, ketchup on eggs is just wrong! I'm with you on that one!

Finally, I heard a joke about how many chinese does it take to screw in a lightbulb... per their proverb, it takes many, because many hands make light work...

(oh forgive me for that one!)