Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Boys Will Be Boys

Pete is all boy. That is indisputable.

As I baby sat him and Jonathan yesterday, we played while Jonathan slept. Pete has a little plastic breastplate, sword, and shield. He also has a little cardboard knife. I put on the breastplate, he hefted the sword and shield, handed me the cardboard knife and we proceeded to start fencing. He has a perfect stance and knows just how to wield that sword while holding the shield steady. Kind of amazing for a 2 1/2 year old little boy. In the heat of the duel, I dropped my knife. I prepared to meet my demise. Pete, keeping the perfect stance and not dropping his shield even a little, leaned down and used his sword to lift up the knife to hand it back to me so we could continue the duel.

I just don't know where he gets it!

Later as I was leaving, he yelled out, "Nammy! Nammy! The moon! The moon!" You know, I think we were all better off when simple things like seeing the moon for the first time each evening was exciting enough to shout about it.

And once again, I was rejuvenated after a very long work day.

3 comments:

gilian said...

Truly one of the joys of grandmommiehood--seeing the world all fresh and new through those eyes.

Sarah said...

I'm glad you had such a good time with Pete. That kind of stuff is just second nature to him! Scary, huh?

I appreciated you babysitting for me very much!

Skybird said...

Did you ever wonder if maybe he had been a "Spartan" in a previous life! LOL! It sounds like he was born with the concept of Honor and chivalry anyway! True warriors have those concepts as character traits! It does no good to defeat an unarmed enemy. The victory does not come from the trouncing of a hurt or unequaled competitor, but from triumphing over an equal. As a man, I get that, and honor your little warrior! LOL!