Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Goodness of People

I attended a funeral yesterday for an articulate and powerful woman. She had been faithful all of her 78 years. It was a lovely funeral.

During the funeral, another sweet, elderly sister slid out of her chair and to the floor. It was so quiet that only a few around her were aware of her distress. I was a few rows away, but the people around were were immediately at her side. A doctor arose from a few rows back and a nurse moved over from three seats away. Other people were quick to get her towels, loan her a sweater for a makeshift pillow, and stroke her arm soothingly until the medics could come.

I was struck with the goodness of people. I hear about inner cities where people fear getting involved. It makes me sad for it is the opposite of what I witness almost every day.

There are a lot of people who really do realize that we are all brothers and sisters and that this is a rough road to travel alone. Helping each other along the way only seems right.

2 comments:

gilian said...

So true--it is good to know you're not alone.

Skybird said...

My sweet friend... you know how I feel about this statement... "The Goodness of People." Well said, and well felt. We are not alone, as gilian said... you know that, and to have witnessed such an act of kindness and then to share it... well it yet again reaffirms my hopes and beliefs in the Divinity of the Human Soul!