Sunday, September 11, 2011

Always, Always Puts a Smile on My Face

We tried (twice) to do a family camp out this year and succeeded the second time.  Best parts were talking with the kids around the camp fire late into the evening.  Then a fun breakfast in the morning.  Oh, and anything with Pete.

Pete acted as if it were Christmas, Easter and July 4th all rolled into one.  It started when I went to his house to get some firewood.  When I walked in the door, he said, "Da Da?"  I said, "No, Pete."  He yelled out, "Nammy, Nammy!" and jumped into my arms.  He immediately wanted to fun to his room to play.  I asked where the baby was and he said, "Nap," and made snoring sounds while pretending to be asleep; all while running and not breaking his stride.  So cute.  Finally, it was so sweet to watch him help me carry stack the wood in the van.

So camping...here's the Pete bullet points:

*Pete yelling from his car seat as soon as he saw me, "Nammy!  Nammy! Open the door!!!" All while he was trying desperately to pull the handle from the inside.  He wanted out of that car.

*Pete running across the meadow once he had gotten out of the car, "Nammy, Nammy!"

*Pete trying to climb up the tent poles.

*Pete trying to be a real man and help Papa put up the tent.

*Pete doing a running jump into the air mattress.  Again.  And Again.

*Pete laughing loudly as he fell between the air mattress and the tent.  "Help me!  Help me! Nammy!  Ha ha ha ha ha!"

*Pete excited about going to the store for extra bratwurst.  "Nammy, Nammy!"  He just had to have that assortment of Tootsie Pops.  Who could say no to that?

*Pete when he's ready to go.  "Bye bye."  Happily driving off.

Yep, couldn't stop smiling that night.  And the cherry on top was being able to feed Jonathan his bottle and looking into those brilliant blue eyes.  What a sweetheart.

So I plan to go to bed with a smile on my face tonight.  Why?  Maddie, sweet Maddie in her watermelon dress.  Kinlie finally starting to warm up to me.  She has a VERY sweet smile.  These two little girlies hold my heart in their little hands.  I love to talk to Maddie, tickle her, read to her.  I love how she will spontaneously kiss me on the cheek; but refuse to do it when you request it.  I loved gathering a little bag of snacks for her and Kinlie to take home tonight.  I love when Kinlie will surprise me with a word or phrase when you least expect it; my shy little Kinlie.  I love when she will ask for more.  It will be so hard when they are gone to New Zealand.  But for right now, I'm smilin' myself to sleep.

4 comments:

Joey said...

Oh, and I forgot about Pete diving into the "rabbit hole" of Sean's tent trying to elude Clayton's chase. Cute.

gilian said...

Adorable. Nothing better. Anywhere.

Sarah said...

Peter definitely has a zest for life, that's for sure!

I'm glad we went. It was a lot of fun for all of us.

Skybird said...

Ah... to have family around you, to the third generation! You would be an awesome Nammy! (Not that I ever pictured you that way in the day!)