Monday, January 16, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

You know, every year I set a few New Year's Resolutions.  Sometimes I complete them and sometimes I don't.

But I was thinking this year how much I love the New Year.  I don't like it work-wise.  This is my least favorite time at work.  But I love the idea of a new year, a new start.  There's something very hopeful about it, something very clean and shiny.

I remember a comment Kathleen Richardson made once in a Relief Society lesson.  The lesson was on making daily scripture study a habit.  Someone said that such lessons always made her feel guilty and hopeless because she would make a resolve only to break it after a short time.  Kathleen said that she looked at it in a different way.  Yes, she would hear the lesson.  Yes, she would make the resolve.  And, yes, often the resolve would be less strong after a few weeks.  But Kathleen said that each time, she felt she learned a little more from the effort.  Each time she got a little further in the goal.  And she hoped, each time, that this would be the time that the goal would become an iron habit.  And if it didn't, then perhaps the next time would.  But each lesson gave her the encouragement to keep on trying.

I liked the hope in that.  I think of New Year's resolutions the same way.  If they are not met, push on.  The growth comes in the trying not just the completion.  I always tell myself that you haven't failed if you haven't quit.

Someone once said that God's grace may be most powerful when it is giving you the strength to try just one more time.  I won't tell you my resolves this year, my focus.  But I trust that God will give me the grace to try just one more time....until, as Kathleen believes, I will meet my goals or my Maker; whichever comes first.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It's interesting how differently people look at the same thing, isn't it? I mentioned in my last Relief Society lesson that I felt a personal call to repentance to do better with my scripture study. Later, a woman in my ward came up to me and sweetly shared a suggestion that had worked for her whereby she had gone over all of the things she hadn't done well during the day and asked for forgiveness for not meeting her goals. I believe that was the best course of action for her. Everyone is different. But I don't see this as something that I need to beg forgiveness for. I'm doing my best and I'm improving. I have to cut myself some slack because it's hard to do everything you want to, need to, and have to do when you have little kids! I agree with Sister Richardson that each resolution is an opportunity to improve.

Mom said...

Love your thinking. I think you got it from me! :)