Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pursuit

I know a young woman.  She's married and she's lonely.  She's not the first lonely wife I have seen.  Why is it that some men (and women) work so hard to win the heart of a spouse only to hold it with little regard after the winning?

With tears in her eyes, she begs the question, "Why doesn't my husband want to spend time with me?"  Why does the girl that was so pursued become the wife that is so neglected?  The causes of neglect are many:  Sports, video games, hunting, cars.  The list of hobbies can seem endless.

I ask this because, as I said, she's not the only woman who has ever said this to me.  Why does the focus shift after the honeymoon?  

And what can a woman do when she can't get her husband's attention?  Nagging makes it worse.  Begging for attention never seems to help.

If you are a man out there, who still has the desire to pursue and cherish your wife's heart after one year, ten years, 30 years, tell me why the desire is still there and how your wife has stoked that fire.

2 comments:

gilian said...

I'm not a man, but I've certainly seen what you describe. I wish I knew why it happens and what to do to prevent it. It is heartbreaking.

Sarah said...

That's very sad. And it just seems to get even more complicated when you have children. The wife/mother just becomes exhausted on top of everything else.

It's too bad that the Peter Pan complex can still be present even if the man decides to "settle down" and get married.

Marriages and building a family are so much work!

I think it comes down to making time for one another--even if it's scheduled. Whether it's a night in (because you can't get a babysitter) or a night out. Simply talking to one another and listening to each other, and cuddling together and watching a movie makes all the difference.

And, of course, the fine line of intimacy. Most guys need to learn that they'll get more intimacy if they court their wives. A woman is more in the mood when she's being helped, listened to, and loved. And the funny thing is that for guys, if they get the intimacy, most of their problems are solved.

Aye yai yai.