Thursday, May 31, 2012

Quilts

In my life, I have only tied quilts.  I have never hand-sewn or even machine-sewn one.  But I have made more than a few tied quilts.

I still remember the first time that I worked on a quilt.  My friend, Jill, invited us to a "Quilting Bee."  I had never attended such a function.  She had a quilt all laid out in her living room with bowls of candy for noshing and we talked and tied and talked and tied.  It was so fun and so feminine.

Since that time I have tied quilts and given them as gifts.  I have tied quilts and used them for my own children.  It's not something I now have much time for, but I love to see how quilts, tied and sewn have woven their way into my life, often a visual reminder of the gift giver.

Right now, as I write this, I am looking at a lovely green and yellow quilt (yes, the colors somehow work) that was done by the sisters in the Relief Society, headed up by Rita Offret, when I got re-married almost 5 years ago.  There's just something about quilts and weddings that go hand in hand.

I also have quilts sewn for me by my good friend, Carol Todd, that are precious because every quilt from her is a labor of love.  And she loves lots and labors lots, not just for me.  But each one reminds me not just of the love I've received through her quilts, but her paintings, her crafts, and her common sense.

But perhaps my favorite quilts are those that were given to me when my children were born.  When each child was born, a friend, visiting teacher, or sister I visit taught, gifted that child with a quilt.  A few of my kids were "blanket" kids and always liked to be curled up with a quilt which watching TV, eating their cereal, or watching fireworks.  Often the chosen quilt was one of those gifted to them when they were small.

Sarah's was given by my good friend, Debbie.  I've known her since we were six years old.  It was a sweet quilt with little bunnies and the yarn was tied in every bushy tail.

Clayton's was a yellow quilt given to me by the Relief Society president of the ward that I lived in at the time.  Sadly, I don't even remember her name and didn't have much association with her.  At the time, my calling was to serve in the nursery (back in the day when RS met during the week).  I was pregnant at the time and took tiny Sarah weekly where we tried to tame children age 3 months to 5 years for 3 hours while their mothers learned and visited.  Still one of the craziest callings I ever had.

When Laurie was born, my mother-in-law was diagnosed with terminal cancer during the same week.  It was a hard time because I loved Vivian dearly, but Laurie was the one bright spot.  Sadly, I remember receiving a quilt; but don't remember who gave it to me.  I think it was my visiting teacher at the time.  I'll have to check with her.  She probably remembers her quilt.  Funny that at 3 in the morning, it won't come to me.  Ah, the drawbacks of age.

Nephi's quilt was given to me by Naomi Telford, who I visit taught at the time.  Nephi never being a blanket boy never was one to carry it around, but it got good use while he was small.

Sean's quilt was probably one of my favorites.  I visit taught this sister who was probably in her 50's when I was in my 20's.  My companion was around her same age, so I was the youngster of the bunch.  When we visited with her, the woman's husband would always come in and listen in, adding much to the conversation.  We never stayed less than an hour.  Our family was moving within a month after Sean was born.  When I went to visit her the last time, she told me that she had heard I had a boy and she had made me something.  She pulled out a quilt that she had "made."  It was one of those machine quilted, pre-printed quilts that were bought by the panel.  Then you sewed a machine formed binding that matched the quilt.  She shyly said that it was the first quilt that she had ever made and she hadn't done the best job of it, but I was so touched by this gift of love.  She and her husband hugged us as we left and told us how much they would miss our visits because we had become such good friends to them.  Ah, how sweet.

Emily's quilt was gifted by one of my heroes.  I had moved to a new ward after Sean's birth and had visit taught Mavis Steadman.  Mavis is a most amazing lady and was the best example of sharing her talents of almost anyone I have ever known.  She taught high school drama and was retiring right at the time I visit taught her.  After Emily was born, she surprised me with a pot of stew (one of my favorite comfort foods) and a love red quilt with rosebuds on it, perfect for a Christmas season baby.  I was so surprised at how she would have the time to do it.  She brushed it off saying, "I was making one for each of my grandchildren and it was not hard to just throw one more quilt on."  Right.  Knowing how busy she was, it had real meaning to me.

Thinking back over these quilts, it reminds me of how much I love women and the feminine world. The desire to create beauty and to share it is embodied so well in quilts, quilts which have warmed and comforted my children.  Indeed, what a lovely thing is a quilt.

3 comments:

gilian said...

You have the most amazing memory.

After reading your post, I walked through my house to open the back door to let my dogs go out back. Along the way, I saw two lap quilts in the tv room, and three additional quilts in the laundry room, fresh from the dryer. I remember choosing the fabric for each, spreading it on the quilt frames, tying each one, and finishing the edges of each. And I remember moments snuggled under each with my children and now grandchildren. I guess I've always thought a quilt is a fine way to express love.

Kimberly Gochnour said...

that was a beautiful post!!! I don't know if it is the pregnancy or not but I almost teared up a few times. Quilts are amazing gifts because the giver puts so much time and love into making them. And almost all of them act like it is not big deal. It is a big deal!! I have an afghan my grandma gochnour made when I turned 16. And I never use it because it still smells like her. I still remember my grandma andersen handsewing some of her quilts instead of tying them.

Sarah said...

I'm so behind on catching up on everyone's blogs. Thank you for this post. As Kim said, it really was beautiful. I still have my baby blanket. I couldn't bear to give it to my boys to use because I didn't want them to ruin it! I also have an orange blanket (queen size) that you got from your wedding that I somehow claimed as my own back in the day. I won't let the boys touch that one either! They have plenty of blankets and quilts of their own that they like to cuddle in and that they are attached to. It is amazing how something so simple as a blanket could have so much depth and meaning. But it does.